About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Race Report: Nike Rocket City Marathon

Marathon #6 completed!

On Saturday, 12/13/14, my running partner and I ran The Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, Alabama. 

It was awesome.

First and foremost, I am ridiculously proud of this girl ----> (the one in the Dunkin Donuts hat)

She completely, totally, and utterly rocked her first marathon. She never gave up. She never complained and RAN THE ENTIRE WAY. It was awesome to share this experience with her and reminded me how amazing long distance running can be.

As for me, I enjoyed every moment of this race. The course was pancake flat and part of it ran through the US Space & Science Center: giant rockets, space shuttles - so cool. There was no half attached to this race so the course and support were super marathoner friendly with ample port a potties and aid stations.

I ran this race in honor of my mother in law, Robin, who was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer. Thanks to some very generous people, I was able to reach my fundraising goal for the American Cancer Society. For race day, I reached out to family & friends on Facebook and asked them for the names of their loved ones to wear on my shirt. It was a honor to carry these names with me for 26.2 miles. 


I also ran this race in honor of my IRun4 buddy, Joshy. He is an amazing boy who has undergone, and continues to experience, physical pain and various limitations. It has been a boon to share this experience with him and his amazing Mom. They have been incredibly supportive and encouraging and I love sharing my miles with him.

 It's hard to believe I have run 6 marathons. I remember how far fetched and daunting the idea of running a marathon was. Who am I kidding? It still is! But I can genuinely say I enjoy the process. I feel blessed to have a family that supports my running and racing and a body that keeps putting one foot in front of the other.

Marathon #7 is the Pittsburg Marathon on 5/3/2015!    

No comments:

Post a Comment