About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas 2011 rundown

After a few more cold weather runs in Ohio, we made our way to NY. We've been here for a few days and its been a blur of food, family, and presents. My son thinks his grandmother is Santa Claus and considering she's been bringing him presents everyday since we got here, he's not that far off. E has charmed  her way into everyone's arms and is being carried around like the Queen of Sheba. Seth and I are just trying to make sure diapers are being changed and cookies don't become a sole source of nutrition. It's been wonderful.

On Friday, I was able to go on a 3 mile run with my fabulous cousin Emma. She talked the whole time. seriously. and it wasn't like we were going that slow. I think she has an extra lung. She's going to be an amazing long distance runner. I made the mistake of promising her that for her 18th birthday I would take her anywhere in the US to run a marathon. She picked Hawaii. Of course she did. It's a good thing I have seven years to save my pennies.

Christmas Eve included a party with the extended part of my family. We're Norwegian so there's lots of coffee, waffles, and love. Now that we live in GA we only get to see most of them once a year so its a great time to get together and catch up. I was thrilled that I got to see my cousin Becky who supports me in my role as dictator of my family. Or as Seth put it, him and I are consuls. I'm not sure who's Octavian and who's Marc Antony though. However, considering Antony falls out of favor and commits suicide, I'd rather be Ocavian.

I was amused when my great uncle asked me if I was serious about this "running thing" and if I am obsessed. He eventually concluded that running, even obsessively, is atleast a healthy habit. It's good to know that even my family thinks I'm crazy.       

Christmas Eve ended with sushi and me almost wetting my pants. My beautiful cousin Laura (recently accepted to Boston College!) and her mother are hysterical. My aunt lovingly tortures my cousin and their interactions are priceless. I am so going to be like that with my kids.

This morning, W came down, and with wide eyes and many ooohh's and aaahhh's opened up present after present. He's at that age now where opening presents is fun and exciting. Every new toy is amazing and wonderful. It was humbling to see Christmas and the generosity of others through his eyes.

Christmas is over and we're more then halfway through our trip. It's a little sad. After this we won't see our family again until the summer. I'm going to try to not dwell on it though. I'm going to savor my runs through Clove Lakes and Silver Lake, enjoy my time with my family, and try to keep track of the thousand cars W has acquired over the course of our trip. I also plan to consume enormous amounts of cookies. As you can see, I have my priorities in order.   

No comments:

Post a Comment