About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

"run Forrest run"

I'm watching the Olympic marathon trials and am floored by the athletic ability of these men and women. The men are running a 5 minute mile at mile 20. Mile 20. At mile 20, I'm forcing myself just to put one foot in front of the other. The women are running about a 5:20 pace. One of the women, Kara Goucher, has a son the same age as my daughter. She looks much better then I do. It's hard not to be jealous.

Half marathon training is going well. I ran a fast 6 miles today; below the pace that I'm aiming to hit during the half so I finished with a big smile on my face. For the first time in a long time I'm in love with running again. I felt a brief spark of love while training for NY but that was quickly destroyed by training 5 days a week. I realize now that I was over training and ignoring the screams from my poor, exhausted body. NY was my dream and I wanted it to be amazing so I ran over a 100 miles a month and was miserable for every step. That's the great thing about running though. There are always other races and new training schedules you can try. You can learn from your mistakes and try again. You can run a shorter distance and gain confidence. This half marathon is my confidence builder. I'm running a relatively light 4 day a week schedule that is leaving me happy and satisfied. 2012 is shaping up to be a good running year.

Have you started running yet? Jogging to the corner and walking back? If not, what are you waiting for? Get up, get out! Come on people, I don't want to run that 10k by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment