About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Running @ 22 weeks pregnant

22 weeks and I'm feeling every single one of those weeks. Goodbye regular jeans, hello maternity tops and leggings. Goodbye sleeping through the night, why hello bathroom I haven't seen you in, oh I don't know, 20 minutes?

Physically, sciatica has been rearing its ugly head and I've been struggling with abdominal ligament pain. Neither of those are helpful when trying to maintain a regular running routine. 

On Friday, I was determined to go for a long run. I had two & a half free hours and planned on logging 10 miles. That didn't go so well. I ended up doing about 8.5, walking most of the way. 

At certain points, I had to stop myself from bursting into tears. To go from running with no pain to being barely able to run at all was so frustrating. I would have been ok with a gradual descent into walking but to be thrust into it with no warning - that was a little more then I could deal with. 

I took Saturday & Sunday off; took naps, drank lots of water, and just relaxed. I decided that I would try again on Monday on a trail near my Dad's house with no expectations other then to enjoy a beautiful, sunny (yet chilly) afternoon. I had to walk once or twice during the first few miles but then I was able to run pain free the entire 2.5 miles back to the car! 

I'll take it.

I think I may need to adjust my schedule and run every other day instead of running three days in a row. At this point, rest days are always a good idea.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and this year I'm thankful for a healthy family, a relatively easy pregnancy, and the continued ability to run.

It is a blessing to be a runner.

Happy Thanksgiving!



















 






2 comments:

  1. It is a blessing to be a runner. I am on my 10th week of pregnancy too and I understand how you feel when it comes to running. I expect changes that will come my way but I am blessed to be able to still run. :)
    Be safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So glad that you're feeling good and running. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete