About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

post marathon update

This morning I ran for the first time since the hills decimated my thighs during Sunday's marathon.



I'm terrible about post race recovery. No ice baths. I take the hottest shower I can stand. I eat what I want and never drink enough fluids. I did wear my compression socks for the rest of the day though so I'm not a complete and total failure.

This time around recovery was a little slower then normal. Monday was rough. Everything was sore and my inner right thigh actually hurt. I was in this weird fog all day. Tuesday was a little better and I survived a walking field trip to the Post Office with my daughter's preK class. Yesterday, we had a dire laundry situation happening so I forced to conquer the basement stairs. I managed to do it without saying "ouch. ouch. ouch" the whole time.

Success.

The first run after a race, especially a marathon, is always a little nerve-wracking. There have been times where I've avoided it like the plague and other times where I can't wait to get back out there. Fortunately, this morning it was the latter.

It was great to be out there with my running partner, shaking out my muscles and moving towards the starting line of the Greenville Marathon, which is in 16 days.

Just writing that makes me laugh.

When I sign up for these races there's this moment of insanity where I think "I CAN DO ANYTHING! HA! HA! HA!". This time around was no different. 2 marathons in 20 days? huh. Sure. Why not?

Despite the exhausting proposition of running another marathon in so few days, I am REALLY excited about Greenville. I'm running it with my running partner who always makes long runs seem easy and Greenville is one of my most favorite cities. As long as the weather is nice it should be an awesome day and if not, well, there's a Starbucks right around the corner from the finish line to make everything better.

previous postRace Report: Appalachian Series - West Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment