About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Some Big News & a Race Recap: M&M 5k

This morning I ran a 5k.

Not a lot of mileage, not a huge crowd. Just a nice, low-key, local 5k to run with my running partner.

Except she wanted me to pace her to a sub 30 time. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous. After all, I am coming back from a knee injury and there's that other little matter of being 16 weeks pregnant.

Yes, you read that correctly. I'm having another baby.

Crazy huh?

That makes three little people running around this world with half of my DNA.

Other than being exhausted to the point of needing a nap every day at 2 pm, I've been feeling pretty good. My mileage has been steadily increasing and I think I'm ready to tackle the 13.1 next week.

Enough about that. Back to the race.

Last year, I crashed this race and helped my friend PR. This year, things are a little different, and I wasn't sure I would be able to help my amazing running partner reach her goal. I was having weird anxiety dreams involving running and Harry Potter (I've been re-reading the series). I also had some pregnancy related round ligament pain earlier in the week and was growing more and more worried that I wouldn't be able to run as fast as I needed to. Of course, I didn't share any of this with my running buddy. In fact, when she reads this she's going to be appalled. 

*I'm sorry and I love you Austina!*

The good news is, though, that my fears were unfounded. We both ran a great race. Sub 10 minute miles despite a nasty little hill towards the end. We both placed in our age groups and basically rocked it.

I ran a nice, slow 4 miles after the race and felt pretty good about moving at a slower pace, but it's nice to know that I can still run quick like a bunny if needed.

Austina & I wearing our medals proudly
(photo courtesy of David Jordan)

*For those caring, concerned individuals out there - don't worry I have my doctor's support. They know I'm a runner and know better than to tell me to stop :) Seriously though, I am cleared to run and would not do it without their approval*    

2 comments: