About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Book Review: "The Long Run"

If I'm not running or changing a diaper or arguing with a 4 year old who thinks she's an adult; I'm reading.

In a good year, I can read about 100 books. Young adult. Mystery. Historical fiction. Contemporary fiction. Fantasy. I'm not picky.

I'm still a sucker for physical books, where I can feel the pages and actually turn them. I visit the library pretty frequently and wait impatiently on Fridays for the branch van to show up with reserved books.

Recently, I've read a slew of good books, including The Long Run by Matt Long with Charles Butler.

picture courtesy of Amazon.com
It is the amazing, mouth dropping story of New York City Fireman & runner Matt Long, who was riding his bike to work when he was hit by a commuter bus. His injuries were catastrophic. At the time of his accident, doctors gave him a 5% chance of recovery. Not only did he recover but three years later he ran and completed the 2008 New York City Marathon.

Yes, you read that correctly. A man who was HIT BY A BUS and basically had his body ripped to shreds found the strength, determination, and the courage to fight for his recovery and run a marathon.

Runners are a special breed. We are tough and unyielding. I have yet to meet a runner who has given up running voluntarily. I know people who may have stopped running due to injury but they miss it - I can see the yearning in their eyes whenever running is mentioned. All Matt wanted to do was run again and he did whatever he needed to do to make that happen.

You feel his pain as he truthfully describes the hardships, the embarrassing complications, and the dark despair he felt during those long months. I literally cheered out loud when he ran his first mile. Having run NYC myself, I could not help but sob like a fool as I read his description of that epic day in 2008 when he defied all odds and crossed that finish line.    

His story is inspirational and it gives you the push to be better, do better and to run the crap out of your life. Definitely worth the read.

Have a recommendation for a good running book? Let me know!

previous post: do you #runchat?

No comments:

Post a Comment