About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Recipe Review: Chicken, Cheddar, & Broccoli Braid

I don't know about you but I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest.

One one hand, it is a super awesome resource and on the other it just makes me want to quit life and hire a personal chef/secretary/party planner/home organizer person to make all my Pinterest dreams come true.

I'm at the point where I only use it to daydream about my house by a lake, in the mountains, with exposed wood beams, and brickwork and to feed my people. Most of my dinner recipes come from there - I have a board labeled Recipes of the Month so I can find things easily and quickly and when I make that meal (and it works) it gets pinned to a keeper board. That's about as organized and fancy as I get.

However, most of the recipes are ones that my children REFUSE to eat. I try to balance our monthly meals between healthy meals (that I know they won't eat even if I promised them the biggest chocolate sundae ever) and things that I can deconstruct so at least they'll eat something with nutritional value.

The struggle is real.


Yesterday, a miracle happened. I found a relatively healthy Pinterest recipe that my children actually ate! And it was easy to make! And it actually tasted good!

This one is a keeper.

Chicken, Cheddar, and Broccoli Braid
Recipe from Balancing Beauty & Bedlam

What you'll need:
  • 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
  • 1 cup fresh broccoli, finely chopped
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
  • ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 Tablespoon spicy or dijon mustard 
  • 1/2 cup regular or light mayonnaise
  • 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
*I left out the cheese, onion, and garlic because my husband's tummy is not a fan of onion and I actually forgot all about both the cheese and the garlic. The kids are home from school for Spring Break and I'm operating on fumes at this point. 

How to make it:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine broccoli, chicken, bell pepper, onion, cheese, mayonnaise, minced garlic, mustard and seasoning salt.
  3. Mix well.
  4. Unroll one tube of crescent dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. 
  5. Repeat with second tube to form a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle.
  6. The two will overlap a bit. Seal seams to form one large rectangle.
  7. Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips approximately 2 ½ inches long, but 11/2 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
  8. Spoon filling lengthwise down the center third of dough.
  9. To braid, bring one strip from each side over the filling, meet in center and twist each strip once, then seal ends. Repeat. When you get to the end of the braid, tuck ends of loaf to seal
  10. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
On the website there is a handy dandy video to show you how to create the awesome braid effect with the crescent roll. I was using my phone, at the time, and the video wouldn't come up so I had to have my 6 year-old remind me which direction was horizontal. Not my finest moment. But it was all worth it when I put empty dishes in the dishwasher without having to scrape an entire meal into the garbage first. #winning. 

*a special shout out to Lindsay whose Pinterest board, Tried It, I stole this from! Thanks Linds!

No comments:

Post a Comment