About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

#100milesinamonthstreak

I'm a streaker.

Not a creepy, run through a stadium in the middle of a game, streaker. 

Rather, I'm a logging 100+ miles a month streaker. 

So far, I have 4 months under my belt - January, February, March, and April. (I'm pretty sure I have November and December too but since Runner's World shut down its classic log and took with it ALL my data I can't be sure).

May was supposed to be a recovery month. After 3 marathons, a half, and countless miles spent on my feet, I needed a break. I told myself I was ok with giving up my streak. Convinced myself that it was necessary. I loaded up Hal Higdon's Post Marathon Training Program and followed it to the letter.

Yesterday, I randomly decided to update my new training log, Final Surge, and discovered I have run 73.22 miles this month. Of course, I quickly did the math and realized I only need 27 miles to reach 100.

27 miles. 

in 5 days.

Totally doable right?

See, I'm not good with recovery. I need to run. I actually have a physical/physiological reaction when I don't. Sunday is my rest day and I wake up EVERY week feeling like I was hit by a truck. I'm tight, achy, sore and cranky - oh so very, very cranky. If it wasn't for the edifying nature of Church, I would really be an unbearable monster. 

I really should have taken the ENTIRE month of May OFF. Entirely off. As in NO running. I keep reading all these articles about how elite runners take time off and yadda yadda yadda. But I can't do it and instead I'm trying to figure out how to cram 27 miles in before the month ends.     

As of right now, I have 21 miles left.

Happy Streaking!    


Feel free to join me on my journey via Twitter at @ljzp or #100milesinamonthstreak!

No comments:

Post a Comment