About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Race Report: Pittsburgh Marathon

goodness. I don't even know where to start.

8 marathons.

I just completed my 8th marathon.

On Sunday morning, I lined up with approximately 30,000 fellow runners to run through the streets of Pittsburgh.



I was so nervous. Nervous about getting to the race on time, nervous about the weather, nervous about hitting the wall and crapping out.

No one talks to me at start lines and I'm starting to think that its because I look like I might possibly cry at any moment. or throw up. No one wants to deal with a potential headcase before they embark on running 26.2 miles.

As it turned out, I had nothing to be nervous about. Yes, it was hilly, but not as bad as my last race, the Chick-fila-A 1/2. Yes, it was hot but the race handled it wonderfully by handing out ice cold towels throughout the later half of the race. Those towels saved me. Being able to wipe my face, neck and arms was not only physically cooling but also boosted me mentally. The course and crowd support was awesome; every mile had people cheering their hearts out.

Often, I find that when a marathon and a half are being run on the same course, the first 13 miles are gorgeous and the last 13 miles are run on shoulders of highways and through sketchy, lonely neighborhoods. This was NOT the case with Pittsburgh. The course was well thought out and considerate of marathoners who need an extra boost of love and support during those last long miles.

If you need a spring marathon, definitely consider Pittsburgh - even if you are a Browns fan.

previous post: it takes a village

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend who swears by this race. I don't know that I will ever want to run another marathon, but if I did, this would be up there on the list.

    FWIW, I would talk to you at the start line. I think everyone has nerves that can get the best of them sometimes and I am always ready to to help talk people down.

    I'm so glad it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - I'm not a fan of big races but it was really well run and they were so prepared for heat that they won me over - plus the people of Pittsburgh were so supportive. They are a happy bunch of people :)

    ReplyDelete