About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

contemplating a new challenge

I have discovered, over the years, that running never get easier. A mile is still a mile. It still takes effort. You still sweat. The difference is confidence. Each new distance conquered or time goal met gives you the confidence to try something new.

When I signed up for my first race in 2006, a 5 miler, I never thought I would be able to run a half marathon. After I ran that half, I thought "wow. If I can do that why not try a full marathon?" 4 marathons later, I can say with confidence that I know I can run 26.2 miles. It's not easy and is still a challenge but it is doable. 

Recently, I started trail running. Well, let's not get crazy. I don't run trails as much as I sign up for trail races and then pray I don't hurt myself. The last three attempts have been successful. No broken bones or "SOS I'm lost" cries for help. Clearly, that means I'm ready for a 50k trail race. 50K you say? How far is that exactly you ask? Well, according to Google it is 31.25 miles and "technically" qualifies as an ultramarathon.   

I am 75% confident that I can run 31.25 miles. It will hurt and I will probably cry but I think I can do it. Or at least I want to think that I can do it. In running, though, that tends to be the same thing.

I haven't actually registered for the race yet. I have until April 4th, when the price increases, to register. So, from now until then I will be searching for my inner ultra marathoner diva and hoping her swagger is enough to get me to that starting line. 

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham

  

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! If you have the drive, you can do it. The time on the trails doesn't hurt me near as much as the same time on the roads. Well, it doesn't hurt in the same ways, at least :) Trail running is awesome! Good luck in your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, for you, Lauren! Your first ultra! I think you will love it! I still run a few marathons a year, but ultras are my love. Can't wait to read your report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for your encouragement ladies!

    ReplyDelete