About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Recipe Review: Easy Turkey Chili

I'm not big on blogging about recipes. Primarily because every time I step into the kitchen its a crap shoot whether or not anything good will come of it. Take last night as an example. I had this grandiose vision of my children eating and loving sweet potato pancakes. I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to grate 3 medium sized sweet potatoes. Then I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to cook those cute little orange patties. W had an evening TBall practice, so after many sighs and frantic looks at the clock, I abandoned my dreams and we had McDonald's for dinner - fail.

This was not the case with Easy Turkey Chili. It's almost foul-proof. Unless you stop paying attention and burn the oil in the bottom of the pot. Not that I did that, I'm just saying it's a possibility. It's basically turkey, tomatoes, beans, & veggies. Easy peasy. Throw everything into a big pot and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes and you're good to go. I'm not a huge fan of chili but this one is delicious. Shockingly, I didn't even need sour cream. It is simple, filling (but not in a "I need to change into my elastic waistband pants" kind of way), and I even got to get the kids to eat it by putting it on pasta.

I didn't take any pictures because it was gone by the time I thought about it. The above link will take you to the Runner's World website where your eyes can feast upon the glory that is Easy Turkey Chili.

Here is the recipe.. go and make it now! I promise your taste buds will thank you.

P.S. I didn't include all the spices... I'm Norwegian & Polish so I like my food with a little hop as opposed to a kick. Feel free to add and subtract.

Easy Turkey Chili
What you'll need:
3 medium bell peppers, any color, rough chopped
medium white onion, rough chopped
2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 can canellini beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 to 2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup beer of your choice
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Grated cheese, sour cream, hot sauce to top (all optional)
How to make it:
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the ground turkey. Saute until mostly cooked.
2. Add in the peppers and onion. Saute until the onions are translucent, the peppers are soft, and the meat is fully cooked (about 10-15 minutes).
3. Add the tomatoes, beans, beer, and spices. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until the chili has the consistency you want. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Add toppings.

1 comment:

  1. A little hop instead of a kick - love it! The recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete