About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Monday, July 9, 2012

the one where I start training for another marathon

At about mile 23 of the 2011 NYC Marathon, I half muttered, half wept to myself, "I am NEVER doing this again. This is STUPID! I'm tired, my feet hurt, and if one more person tells me the finish line is right up ahead I'm going to punch them in the face. And I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want some Swedish fish." I was, therefore, most surprised, when approximately a week or so later, I found myself registering for the 2012 Anthem Richmond Marathon. Running marathons is kind of like giving birth - you forget how truly painful and terrifying it was and only remember the new cute little munchkin. Or in this case, how awesome it felt to finally get that medal.  


So here I am, 8 months later, embarking on another 16 week marathon training program. This will be my fourth marathon and I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. That's where the internet comes in. This time around, I'm utilizing the brilliance of Hal Higdon and his online Novice II schedule  (with a few minor modifications) to get me through the 26.2 miles and across that finish line. 


I learned the hard way that running 5 days a week is a big no no for me. I get burnt out, start to loathe running, and want to poke my eyes out. 4 days a week is perfect, especially with pace runs thrown in there. That's the key to a great training program; knowing what you're capable of doing and doing that really well. I'm going to rock the snot out of this training program.... 4:45 marathon perhaps?   


Because I know you all care so very much, I'll try to keep you updated on my progress and mileage. Thanks for joining me on this very crazy adventure... keeps your arms within the vehicle at all times and please, for the love of all things holy, bring me some Swedish fish!  


No comments:

Post a Comment