About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Monday, July 23, 2012

the one where Seth and I run a lot of miles and then I eat bacon

If you've been  paying attention to the "Upcoming Races" section of my blog, you already know that I'm supposed to run 18 miles tomorrow. It's not a race, just an opportunity for Seth and I to do something ridiculous while on our beach vacation.
One of the first summers that I came to the beach with Seth and his family, his father ran from the beach house, down the island to the lighthouse. I was amazed and impressed that someone would get up that early to run multiple miles while on vacation! In an attempt to be cool like my Father in law, I have now made the 13+ mile trek three times. Sometime last year, in a moment of insanity, Seth and I decided that we would (together!) run the ENTIRE length of the island, for a total of 18 miles or so. 10 months ago, it seemed like a really great idea. Now, the day before, I'm thinking this was a silly idea.
Long distance running should be synonymous with silly ideas. People running back to back marathons or 100 mile races through deserts or up mountains. Or two people, both training for marathons, getting up at 4 o'clock in the morning (while on vacation!) to run from Holgate to Barnegat Light. It's silly, I tell you, just silly.
Nevertheless, we will do it. Thankfully, the run will be followed by breakfast with Seth's Dad and Uncle. Bring on the egg and cheese on a roll with a side of bacon!
Pictures to follow.
  

1 comment: