About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

inspiring others through sweat

A couple of weeks ago, while running, I was pulled over. Yes, you read that right. I was pulled over by a police officer while running. Apparently, the police officer, while driving around our bustling metropolis had noticed me running. She wanted to let me know that I inspire her. A few weeks before that, while I was running with the kids, a woman stopped me at the library to tell me that every time she sees me running she says "God bless her!" Fast forward to a few days after that, when the cashier at our local supermarket asked if I had run yet that morning. And here I thought I was invisible. Oblivious to the fact that the entire town sees me sweating, spitting, blowing my nose into my shirt, and generally looking pathetic while running. Strangely, though, it doesn't seem that that's what they see. I think they see a woman who cares enough about herself and her sanity to hit the road running. A woman who won't skip a run just because her kids add an additional 65 lbs of weight to push.

I've cried while running (like all out bawling, head in hands, sobbing), sat on the ground in a breathless heap, sang songs at the top of my lungs, and jumped for joy. In short, all the emotions that people usually experience in the privacy of their home, I experience with an audience. I wouldn't have it any other way. When I run, my shoulders relax, my back gets a little straighter, and the stress just rolls away. I like the idea that people see that. Maybe they will be inspired to get out there and let the whole world see them sweat, cry, and smile through each mile.

Last night, my cousin, sent me a Facebook message to tell me that this blog has inspired her to start running again. She admitted that its been a slow process but that she is doing it. Is anyone else going to join us? Slap on those sneakers and get out there. Who knows who you can inspire?

No comments:

Post a Comment