About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

the one where I realize my bad run could have been much worse

On Saturday, I had a bad run. A terrible run. A run that made me cry. Thankfully, it was just a training run. It wasn't during a race or a situation where it was all or nothing. 

As I'm writing this, I'm watching a replay of the Women's 1500m Olympic race. A race where American runner Morgan Uceny falls on the last lap and loses her chance at a possible medal. Now that's a bad run.

To make it worse (if that's even possible), the same thing happened to her at last year's World Championships. Imagine training that hard and for that long only to have a split second mistake destroy everything? TWICE!

She could have given up after the fall at Worlds. She could have hung up her track spikes and walked away from competitive running. She didn't. She battled back to make the Olympic final. I hope this time, after this fall, she finds a way to come back to the sport she loves. 

Puts things into perspective doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment