About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

pour some sugar on me

I think I'm addicted to sugar.

It might be hormonal or a result of marathon tapering but either way it is clear I have a problem.

I've lost track of how many boxes of Girl Scout cookies I have eaten. Thin Mints, Samoas, Trefoils. I can't eat just one - oh no. I have to eat half a sleeve.

Easter is almost here. Not only am I celebrating the resurrection of my Savior but I'm enjoying the many varieties of chocolate that are available of my local store's shelves. Cadbury Eggs, Peanut Butter Eggs - if it's in the shape of an egg and contains chocolate there's a good chance I'm going to eat it.   

It's becoming more clear to me, as I contemplate running and racing at longer distances, that I need to make better food choices. I've made changes to our dinner menus; trying to include more vegetables and more balance between the number of pasta and meat dishes. My kids will only eat corn. Any other vegetable offered is met with choruses of "ew, I don't like that." No amount of pleading or bribing works. It can be maddening.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I like to eat but I hate thinking about food. I hate thinking about where it came from, what's in it, how bad or good it is for me. I just want to eat it. I know that this personality flaw makes me irresponsible and downright sacrilegious in some circles. I get it. I'm working on it. I follow tons of clean eating, meat hating, plant loving people on Twitter and everyday they guilt me into caring a little bit more. Today, though, I just need to stop shoving cookies down my gullet. Tomorrow we'll work on less chocolate. Next week: peas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment