About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Running @ 20 weeks pregnant

This past week was the first week that I've actually felt "pregnant". I had to nap or risk falling asleep while talking to my children. I lost my maternity belt and I almost cried about it. Every room is my house is screaming for me to throw things away.

running while pregnant- thumbs up!Running was even hard. I ran about 10 miles during the week and each and every one of the miles felt impossible. My 5 mile run on Wednesday felt like I was slugging through knee high mud.

Recently, I've been doing my long runs with my running partner and today she left me all by my lonesome to run her first half marathon. I know. How dare she! (I am so ridiculously proud of her!) The original plan was to get up early and log 12 miles, but my daughter and a yucky cough that kept us, nixed that idea. I revised the plan and decided to celebrate reaching the halfway point of this pregnancy, 20 weeks, by running 10 miles.

In case you were wondering, it's hard to run 10 miles. It's even harder to run 10 miles when you're A. 20 weeks pregnant and B. your Garmin battery dies at 3.44 miles so you have NO idea how much further you need to go, or what time it is.

Despite the dead Garmin, which I continued to try to shut on and off at stop lights and an encounter with a dog, I kept plodding along. I plodded and plodded, ate some energy chews, and enjoyed the beautiful fall morning. Apparently, it took me a really long time because my husband was waiting for me in the driveway when I turned the corner of our street. I got a kiss and a lecture about how I'm pregnant and stubborn and I need to carry my phone with me on long runs.

I have to give my husband credit. He doesn't bat an eye when I leave for a run, or go to the gym. He supports me in my desire and need to stay active during this pregnancy. But this morning, he was nervous and I'm going to be a good wife and do what he tells me to do. So, if you see a pregnant woman trying to figure out how to play Plants vs. Zombies while running, you'll know it's me.

 
In case you can't read it my shirt says "still waiting for my uterus to fall out.*" Makes me laugh EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

*You can get one of your very own awesome waiting on my uterus running shirts here.*

Related posts: Running @ 18 weeks pregnant & Running while Pregnant: The Basics

No comments:

Post a Comment