About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Don't call it a comeback

Yesterday was the day. It's been 6 weeks since my c section and that can only mean one thing... I CAN RUN AGAIN. 

It has been quite awhile since I've been able to lace up my sneakers with the sole intention of going for a run. Running is such a huge part of who I am, a daily part of my life and routine, that not being able to do it has been strange, and at times, difficult.

Towards the end of my pregnancy, when I was going to the gym and walking on the treadmill, I would daydream about being able to run again. Being outside, with the sun on my face, leaving behind the stress and frustrations of life with every step. For me, running is not just about the physical activity, it's also about an emotional and mental release.

After 6 weeks of minimal sleeping and navigating life with three children, this benchmark came just in time. I actually had to be fitted for a night guard because I was waking up with headaches from clenching my jaw. Apparently, not running is detrimental to my oral health.

I woke up yesterday to a text from my fabulous running partner congratulating me on being able to run.

                                        

She totally gets me.

I got the kids ready, dropped them off at school, and then sat in my car in the school parking lot. I was nervous. I actually had butterflies. It was the strangest thing. What did I have to be nervous about?

Finally, I forced myself to put my phone down and get out of the car. Within two minutes of starting, all my nerves were gone. I fell into a comfortable trot and just kept moving forward. It was a fabulous 2 miles, slow but fabulous. 

Staying fit during my pregnancy definitely helped my recovery and return to running. My lungs and legs are strong and I wasn't sore at all this morning. 

I'm excited about slowly adding mileage and getting back into my running groove.

Watch out running world: this Mommy of 3 is hitting the road! 

No comments:

Post a Comment