About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Recipe Review: Green Monster Spinach Smoothie

I've gone green. 


I was rambling around on pinterest this weekend when I came across this recipe for a Green Monster Spinach Smoothie. I would not call myself a healthy eater. I'm not bathing in fast food or anything but I definitely don't eat as well as I should. I'm getting better about fruits but am terrible with vegetables. I even like vegetables; they just never make it to my mouth.

So, when I found this easy-peasy recipe for a drink that I could make in my own kitchen - with ingredients I already have on hand - I figured why not? If anything, the experiment would make for a good blog post.

In the blender went peanut butter, vanilla greek yogurt, vanilla soy milk, a sliced banana, and 2 1/2 cups of baby spinach. I must admit, I was a little dubious. First of all it's green. I haven't drank anything green since I was a kid and used to add food coloring to my milk. It smelled yummy though. I blended and blended and then poured the contents into my mug.

 First sip. "Mmmmm...not bad. Can't taste the spinach at all, really." Next sip. "Oooo banana!" Next sip. "Vanilla, banana, spinach... oh my!" The clincher was when my 2 year old daughter had a taste, and while licking her lips, said "I want some more."

The Green Monster Spinach Smoothie passed the taste test. Now, would it pass the "last to lunchtime" test? It would be silly to drink my breakfast only to be hungry two hours later.

I had my smoothie at about 9 am. By 12:30 I was starting to get hungry. Not starving, no rumbly tummy, just hungry. That's a win in my book.

I don't know that I will make one everyday but its nice knowing there's an easy way to get a vegetable into this body.

I think I'm going to reward myself with a cookie for my new healthy attitude.

Green Monster Spinach Smoothie
1 frozen sliced banana 
1 Tablespoon peanut butter 
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt 
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk) 
4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less) 
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment