About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Friday, January 25, 2013

the one where I get all deep and stuff

"One day I won't be able to do this, today is not that day." -Unknown

For some reason this quote has been gnawing at the edge of my brain for days. The idea that I need to be grateful for the "here and now." Dwelling in the excitement about where I am in my running and in my life. 

Maybe it's the realization that my baby, the little boy I used to spend hours cuddling with and singing the Beatles to, is going to kindergarten next year. The understanding that I'm pretty content with our family of four. Or it could be finding old pictures and realizing I was never as fat as I thought I was.

There is also a sense that its not just about today but also about the long term. 

I run now so I can walk later.

I drink spinach smoothies because my body needs fiber and vitamins. I want my body to like me when I'm old.

Sometimes, I wonder if its worth it; the early mornings, the discomfort, the sweat. Then I remember all that running has given me. Pride in myself and in my accomplishments. Excitement about new challenges. Camaraderie with fellow runners. A healthy lifestyle that allows me to make the most of every day with my children. 

These are the reasons I lace up my sneakers and put in mile after mile.

"One day I won't be able to do this, today is not that day." -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment