About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

On Boston

As a runner, I am heartbroken. I am horrified that a race, similar to the ones I run in every year, was targeted  in such a senseless way. As I read through my twitter feed and realized what had happened, I immediately turned on my television. I literally gasped out loud when I first saw the footage. My first thought was about the runners. I know what it takes to cross that finish line - the time, the dedication, the mental strength. That someone took that away from them makes me angry.

wearing a race shirt in support
As a mother, I am scared for the future and what it holds for my children. 9/11. Newton. Boston. The world can be a frightening place. Before yesterday, the finish line at a marathon was the last place where I would be concerned for the safety of my family. I will continue to run marathons. Our family will continue to cheer. There will be, however, extra prayers and a heightened awareness of our surroundings. A seed of wariness and of sadness has been planted.

As a Christian, I am grateful that I serve a loving God. I am thankful that He is in control. I am thankful that His love is evident and plentiful in the Boston Community. I am thankful that even in the midst of chaos, He is the anchor.

I stopped asking "why" a long time ago. I'm not so concerned
with the "who" either. I'd rather focus on how we, as a community, can help. How we can support those affected and help them heal. The running community will rally. Endurance athletes are, by nature, stubborn. We will not stop running. Races will be held all over the country and people will run in honor of Boston.    

I, myself, ran a silent mile for the victims this morning. It was an early run, 5:30, just the birds and I. I prayed, and will continue to do so, for the runners that had their moment cut short. For the injured spectators that their wounds, seen and unseen, will heal. For the running community that will not be bullied into fear or submission. There are no words to express how proud I am to be a runner. My heart overflows.

1 comment: