About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Monday, September 30, 2013

a dream postponed

On Saturday, I was supposed to run my first ultramarathon - a 50k.

Instead, I ran 9 miles with my running partner through the country. I took my children to get their pictures taken and then we went to Costco.

Not so much running through the woods for 6 or 7 hours.

It's hard to postpone a dream. But that's just what I've done; I've postponed it. I haven't forgotten it, or lost it, or shelved it forever.

September 28, 2013 may not have been my ultramarathon debut but I am certain that it will happen. At some point, I will run an insane amount of miles in one day and live to brag about it, I might even include some fabulous, sweaty, post race pictures for your viewing pleasure.

In a strange, demented, way I am almost grateful for this knee injury. Before this, I took running for granted. I took for granted my ability to walk out my front door and engage in some much needed free therapy. To pound  the pavement, shake the yuckiness out of my muscles, clear my head, and become a better version of myself.

Now, every run is a gift. Each mile is a reminder that I am blessed. Missing a race is sad and disappointing but right now, running pain free is enough.

Have you had to postpone a goal, a race, or a dream due to injury? How did you handle it?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that 9/28 wasn't your day. But it will be. You'll do that 50K.

    I haven't really had to postpone anything due to injury. I guarantee that if it happens, I'll probably be less than gracious about it. Control freaks such as myself don't handle things like that well. It's one of my less favorable characteristics.

    I am looking forward to hearing which 50K you choose for the future and read about your training for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen thank you so much for your encouragement! It was definitely hard to make the decision but it was for the best.

      :)

      Delete
  2. Lauren, I admire your ability to be realistic about this and to remember that needing to bow out at the moment doesn't mean that you'll never be able to do an ultra ever again. "Not now" does not equal "never." Thanks for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete