About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Running (yes, Running!) @ 31 weeks pregnant

I had a revelation last week.

I was on the treadmill, logging time and miles for Meg, when I decided to try to run. I hadn't run in a few weeks, overwhelmed by a squished bladder and growing belly. This day, however, was about Meg so I pushed my doubts aside and implemented my version of Jeff Galloway's run-walk method - walking for 3 minutes, running for 1 minute.

BAM! Light bulb moment.

I was running again. Granted, just for a few minutes over the course of 40 minutes but I was RUNNING!

I can't imagine why it took me so long to figure this out.

All this week, I've been Jeff Gallowing it - working up a sweat and breathing hard.

Yesterday, I was on that machine for an hour - run/walking my butt off. It was awesome. Granted, I had to get off at 30 minutes to use the bathroom but I jumped right back on for another half hour. I can only imagine what the fit, athletic 18-21 year old college students think when they see this obviously very pregnant woman abruptly stop and make a beeline for the door. 

I can't even begin to explain how good it feels to run again, even in small increments. I feel like I have a part of myself back, a piece of myself that had gone missing.  

It also makes the post-baby comeback seem possible.

Let's be honest, when I can run, anything and everything seems possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment