About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

impatience

This morning I went for a short run with my husband. The alarm went off at 6:46. We got up at 6:52. We didn't leave until 7:24.

It was another laser eye beam situation.

It takes me approximately 10 minutes to get ready for a run. I roll out of bed. I go to the bathroom and get dressed. Sports bra. Top. Shorts. Socks. Hat. I head down the hallway to where my sneakers are waiting by the door. I put my Garmin on the porch to find a signal, put on my shoes, attach my iPod, and I'm out the door. 

10 minutes. 12 minutes if I'm feeling lazy.

There is no dilly dallying.

This morning, as I was waiting for him to finish stretching, I realized that running with others, like most things in life, requires patience. If I'm going to accept an offer to run with someone I need to be prepared to deal with everything that entails, even if it drives me batty.

Thank you, running, for making me a better wife. Goodness knows I need the help.

Does your significant other or running partner have a pre-run ritual that is different from yours? Does it drives you nuts?

7 comments:

  1. We are both kind of dilly dalliers in our own ways. However, I build time in to accommodate my hangups, where he does not. We can't run together in the mornings because of little man, so timing is everything with the summer heat. I'll get up 30 minutes early so I can have something to eat and drink and then go to the bathroom 18 times (inevitable). He will roll out of bed, put on his clothes, and then get distracted with ESPN or email and waste tons of good running time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I think ESPN sucks my husband in too.

      Delete
  2. Hmm I think we're pretty equal here. However, I do find that running with others makes me feel a bit tied down as I HAVE to be ready at a certain time. I like being able to go early if I'm ready early or later if I get tied down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. During the school year we rarely run together so this is a whole new world.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I clicked your link because it reminds me of my husband! He takes forever to get ready. Same thing, wake up at 4:00, maybe we'll get out by 5:30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would throw me right over the edge. You are a good woman.

      Delete
  4. Hubby doesnt run with me but does dilly dally getting ready to go do other things lol. Love your (humorous) honesty

    ReplyDelete